If you haven’t been to the Miami Design District lately and still need a 2018 New Year’s resolution, here is an easy one. Go visit the Miami Design District. It is so Miami! In case you need more reasons than that, here are 5:
- Interesting architecture – Okay, between Miami Beach’s art deco district and an abundance of starchitect buildings Miami is full of interesting architecture. However, in the Miami Design District just about every single building is interesting. Some have textured exteriors, others vivid colors or geometric designs. No two buildings are alike and unlike some areas of South Florida that crave and even demand uniformity, the Miami Design District is definitely outside of that box.
- Plenty of public art – If the architecture isn’t enough to keep you entertained as you explore, there are public art installations sprinkled throughout the district.
- Unique stores, shops, and restaurants in addition to the luxury brand names. If small, local, independent shops appeal to you, don’t let the concentration of luxury, brand name designer shops fool you. There are plenty of small delightful stores and restaurants with a variety of products that you won’t find elsewhere. The spaces themselves are inviting and the people that I met manning them were helpful, charming and friendly.
- Institute of Contemporary Art It is free! A generous gift to Miami’s entire community by Miami Design District Associates, who donated the majority of the land, and Norman and Irma Braman, ICA is a bright, open space with installations sure to get you thinking and an outside sculpture garden perfect for selfies.
The art starts on the outside of ICA MIAMI
- Great public spaces to sit and chat, people watch, or enjoy our beautiful weather – the sculpture garden at ICA, the walls around the various planters and water fountains and the meeting bowls are just a few places to grab a seat. If sitting around is not active enough for you, come up with creative videos to post on #MeetingBowls. For inspiration, click on the link below.